Retail Investment Review
This Retail Investment Review provides a comprehensive look at the transaction activity, industry trends and key buyer groups that were active in 2019. Highlights for the year included the sales of 50% interests in three Super Prime Regional Shopping centres in three separate states, which reconfirmed that high quality centres underpinned by strong catchments and trading performance continued to attract strong yields. Australian retail property transaction levels are expected to remain strong in 2020 with strategic capital looking for opportunities in the market.
Head of Retail Investment Services
Specialising in the sale of major shopping centres, Lachlan has managed the sale of over $12 billion worth of shopping centres, working with a wide range of clients including institutional, international and private investors.
In 2019, Lachlan's team transacted 83% of all retail assets greater than $100 million, equalling a total of $3.58 billion in sales. These included:
• The sale of Westfield Marion, SA for $670 million (50% interest);
• The sale of Westfield Burwood, NSW for $575 million (50% interest);
• The sale of Garden City Booragoon, WA for $575 million (50% interest);
Over the last 24 months, Lachlan has achieved the largest transaction in Australian history with the sale of Indooroopilly Shopping Centre, QLD for $810 million (50% interest). He also secured the largest agency negotiated transaction in Australia at $1.00 billion for the sale of Pacific Werribee and Epping, VIC (50% interest). With an in-depth understanding of shopping centre performance, Lachlan can provide you with expert advice on the sale and acquisition of your retail investments.
• Capital Partnering / Joint Ventures / Portfolio Transactions
• Asset Marketing and campaign strategy, implementation and execution
• Shopping centre acquisition and disposal
• Sale negotiation and transaction
• Strategic asset positioning and repositioning to maximise asset performance
• Buy side investment advisory
National Director, NSW | Retail Investment Services
James leads the NSW Retail Investment Services team, and coordinates a national strategy for his clients, having transacted over $2 billion worth of shopping centres since joining Colliers International in 2013. James specialise in transacting supermarkets, hardware, neighbourhood, sub-regional and large format retail shopping centres. James utilises his 15 years of retail investment, neighbourhood shopping centre development and agency experience.