CPP, CPV, FAPI, FRICS
National Director, Government & Legal | Valuation & Advisory Services
Phil leads the National Government Property Services – Valuation and Advisory team in Australia, delivering a diverse range of services to our many Government clients, at a Federal, State/Territory and Local Government level.
With over 30 years’ experience in the Australian and New Zealand Government property sector, Phil brings an extensive, in-depth understanding of Government property, valuations, asset strategy, Government relations, risk management, quality assurance, governance and a diverse knowledge of a range of regulations and legislative frameworks.
Phil has specialist knowledge and expertise in the valuation of Government property assets for the purposes of financial reporting, Just Terms compensation, asset realisation and purchase and disposal requirements.
Additionally, Phil also provides advice to clients on strategic asset management, as well as property tax advice (including valuations for Council rating and State land tax).
Of note, Phil was the New South Wales Valuer General for 11 years until late 2014. In this role, Phil was responsible for a valuation system that provided annually in excess of $3 Billion in land tax revenue for the State government and in excess of $4 Billion in rates revenue for local government councils. Phil was responsible for many significant enhancements to the valuation system, including improved transparency of valuations and supporting information being provided to landowners.
- Valuation of the NSW Crown Land Estate (CLE). Comprising approx. 42% of the NSW total land area, the CLE occupies approx. 34 million hectares of land, with a diverse range of uses from reserves through to commercial property (including marinas, kiosks, restaurants and caravan parks). It also includes the Three Nautical Mile zone (3NM zone). The 3NM zone comprises land below the high-water mark along the coastline of NSW and extending three nautical miles into the ocean. The assessed fair value of the CLE is approximately $12.5 Billion.
- In 2020 Phil, has overseen and provided expert input to asset valuations for the purposes of financial reporting, including Federal Department of Finance, Water NSW, NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment, and City/Country Rail (NSW).
- In 2016, Phil oversaw the valuation of Snowy Hydro Limited for the purposes of financial reporting. This complex and geographically dispersed property asset required the valuation of the land and buildings, as well as the plant and equipment, much of which was very specialised. The project was completed on time, to the required quality level.
- In 2017-2018, Phil oversaw financial reporting valuations for the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet. The project involved properties located in relatively remote locations such as Nhulunbuy and Kalgoorlie. It also involved the valuation of well-known property holdings including Kirribilli House in Sydney, and The Lodge in Canberra. The assignment also included the valuation of fine arts, as well as antique furniture, paintings, and other artefacts.
- In 2018, Phil oversaw the valuation of the valuation of the NSW National Parks and associated reserves and easements for the then Office of Environment and Heritage. It involved the valuation of approx. 936 properties with a total fair value in excess of $2.1 Billion. The project was completed on time and passed close and detailed audit scrutiny.
- Phil also had oversight of the valuation of Fire and Rescue - NSW property assets. Principally this involved the valuation of land and building occupied by fire stations, offices, training centres and heritage buildings. Again, these valuations and required reporting were completed on time and to the client’s satisfaction.
Bachelor of Agricultural Commernce (Valuation and Farm Management), Lincoln College, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
Memberships & Involvements
Fellow of the Australian Property Institute (FAPI)
Fellow of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS)
Certified Practicing Valuer (CPV)
Certified Property Practitioner (Government) CPP(Gov)
National President - Australian Property Institute (2011 & 2012)
Phil is currently one of eight (8) global members who is appointed to the International Valuations Standards Council (IVSC) Board responsible for Membership and Standards Recognition.
Member of the International Property Tax Institute (IPTI) Global Advisory Board. IPTI is IPTI is a not-for-profit organization with a goal to advance and foster property taxation and assessment ideals on an international level.
Managing Director | Valuation & Advisory Services, Strategic Advisory & Healthcare & Retirement Living
I am responsible for the oversight and management of Valuation & Advisory Services; Strategic Advisory & Healthcare & Retirement Living businesses in Australia. Ensuring Colliers remains best in class providers in their respective markets.
Managing Director, Valuation & Advisory Services 2013 - Present
National Director, CBD Commercial Valuation, Sydney CBD Office 2006 - 2013
State Director, Consultancy and Valuation, Sydney CBD Office 2003 - 2006
Associate Director, Sydney CBD Office 2002 - 2003
Senior Valuer, Sydney CBD Office 1998 - 1999
Valuer, Sydney West Office 1995 – 1998
PROFESSIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS | OFFICE VALUATION & ADVISORY
Some of the more prominent clients that I regularly undertake national valuation appointments from include The GPT Group, AMP Capital Investors, DEXUS, Brookfield, and Lendlease.
Some of my more recent valuation instructions of Premium and A grade commercial office assets undertaken are as follows:-
‘Governor Phillip’ & ‘Governor Macquarie Towers’, 1 Farrer Place, Sydney
‘RBS Tower @ Aurora Place’, 88 Phillip Street, Sydney
‘Darling Park’, 201 Sussex Street, Sydney
‘Grosvenor Place’, 225 George Street, Sydney
1 Bligh Street, Sydney
120 Collins Street, Melbourne
530 Collins Street, Melbourne
8 Exhibition Street, Melbourne
‘Bourke Place’, 600 Bourke Street, Melbourne
One One One Eagle Street, Brisbane
1 William Street, Brisbane
Central Plaza I, II & III, Brisbane
‘Bankwest Tower’, 108 St Georges Terrace, Perth
‘Brookfield Place', 125 St Georges Terrace, Perth
‘Ernst & Young Centre’, 12 Mounts Bay Road, Perth
Prior to joining Colliers, I worked within the Research Department of the Property Council of Australia (PCA), then with a boutique firm of Valuers & Land Economists, where I was involved in the valuation of residential property predominantly for first mortgage security purposes, as well as commercial and retail rental advice.
My career commenced after graduating from the University of Western Sydney in 1989 and has included several market cycles. I have completed major property valuations throughout Australia and some overseas posts including Jakarta, Singapore, Port Moresby, Tonga and Samoa.
I achieved the status of Business Valuer after completing additional qualifications through the API/University of Western Sydney and a graduate diploma in Applied Finance and Investment Analysis.
My focus since joining Colliers in July 2006 has been on major commercial assets in the ACT and the management of large government portfolios on a local, national and international level.
National Director | Valuation & Advisory Services
Ben leads the Valuation & Advisory Services department in Victoria. The team undertakes valuations of industrial, office, retail and corporate property.
Ben has experience across a number of property types with a specific focus on industrial property in both the corporate and institutional sectors.
He has established particular expertise in Melbourne’s industrial market and has provided valuation and consultancy advice for some of the largest owners and occupiers of industrial property.
Ben has gained wide-ranging experience in providing professional property valuation and consultancy advice for various purposes including finance, financial reporting, insurance, leasing and rent review negotiation.
Ben also leads the plant & machinery practice nationally servicing all industries.
Director | Valuation & Advisory Services
Amy Hamilon, Director - Retail Valuations, has over sixteen years of consultancy and valuation experience within Queensland and New South Wales commencing her career in the property industry in 2001.
During this time, Amy has been exposed to a wide range of property types, valuation methodologies and purposes of valuation. Such purposes include mortgage security, mortgagee in possession resumption/acquisition, property settlement (family law), asset management and other litigation matters.
She is currently part of our Brisbane Commercial Valuation and Advisory Team.
Director | Valuation & Advisory Services
I provide valuation and advisory services on commercial real estate in the Sydney CBD and City Fringe.
Real estate sectors include office, office developments, commercial, commercial developments, residential buildings, residential developments and retail property. Ask me about your annual reporting, financial reporting, asset valuations, mortgage valuations, acquisition / disposal, NSW compulsory acquisition and rental advice requirements.
I currently work closely with Dwight Hillier, Jonathan Petsalis, Cassandra Mortimer, Devan Vituli, Phil Western, Christopher Milou and Dylan Adams.
Director, Government and Legal
Phillip has been in the property industry for over 10 years and is currently an Associate Director in Valuation & Advisory Services at Colliers International.
Prior to his move to Colliers International, Phillip held various Senior roles and gained significant exposure to the Commercial/Residential mortgage sectors, being highly experienced in Western Sydney markets, amongst others.
Phillip also has experience in advisory for acquisition and disposal, rent reviews, capital gains tax, litigation property settlement, statutory requirements, government portfolio work, property settlement (family law), asset management and other litigation matters.
In his present capacity, Phillip is based in Western Sydney and is primarily focused on Statutory and Litigation, Valuation and Advisory Services.