Australia’s Purpose-Built Student Accommodation (PBSA) sector has witnessed strong development growth and an increase in operational assets to meet the ongoing demand from the rapid influx of international students.
Colliers International’s new Research and Insights 2018/2019 report for PBSA – The Graduation of a Sector – found several key changes for the industry going forward, including:
- The challenges of providing affordable accommodation offerings, including considering new locations;
- The diversification of room types provided within new developments;
- The transition from development to operational assets and the unique challenges of providing a housing solution for hundreds of students within a single building;
- Proposed MIT changes and the potential impact on investor appetite; and,
- New retail and mixed-use offerings within developments to further drive the attraction and retention of students.