Colliers International’s Real Estate Management team builds energy rating at 80 Collins Street, Melbourne, surpassing anything in the market for a building of its age
Colliers International’s Real Estate Management team has managed 80 Collins Street, Melbourne, on behalf of QIC for the past 12 years.
The 40-year-old building was originally assessed in 2006 as having a 2.5-star NABERS Energy rating.
Since then, Colliers International’s onsite team has worked diligently to optimise 80 Collins Street. This hard work has been recognised through the recent achievement of a five-star NABERS Energy rating, which is a major achievement considering the challenges posed by a building of this structure and age.
The Colliers International experts optimised the asset by executing the following:
- Upgrading the air distribution systems;
- installing new high-efficiency perimeter induction units;
- rebuilding the high-rise air-handling unit plant room;
- replacing three centrifugal chillers;
- installing a Kiltech control system to deliver energy-consumption savings;
- upgrading tenant condenser water loop;
- continually reviewing and fine-tuning the digital data control system to ensure optimum plant performance;
- changing stair lighting from fluorescent lamps to LED fittings, which have delivered significant energy savings; and
- running all common area lighting, which is LED-controlled, on motion sensors out of hours.
Congratulations to Ian Lightfoot, Neville Kuhn, Lester Hore and Sandra Walker on this outstanding example of asset optimisation through proactive, value-adding engineering applications.